Thursday, January 25, 2007

Post 2

Who, what, when, where, and why? And who? Are the questions I’m going to be asking and answering for you in this five-hundred word post.
First is who are we going to evaluate. http://www.luelinks.net/ is what I eluded to in the previous post. The story begins in a community on the website where my cute little asian self who liked videogames of the age of 10 and 11 went to get cheats. I stumbled upon a “social” board, which differentiates from the video-game discussions by having more general kinds of topics. (I don’t even remember how I got to lue, (which stands for Life, the Universe, and Everything) For the first time in my life I saw a large community of most likely introverted people posted on a message board and had fun (in my puppy-dogged eyes). I immediately started sulking, not posting but reading the hundreds of posts posted every minute. Never for a second was I not amused by reading the forums. This lue was a personality to me, an organism that was made a collected number of social inept people with a great chance of having their gene's quest for eternal life through reproduction totally eradicated.
In regards to the second question in the first sentence, lue is a community board that uses a medium of message boards that allows many to communicate on www.gamefaqs.com. Note gamefaqs lue and luelinks are not alike! But they are kin.
When? When I was 10 or 11 to get cheats for my video games.
Where? Gamefaqs.com then luelinks.net
Why? Here we go… Why is there a luelinks with a message board and a gamefaqs message board that is called lue? Well, I loved to lurk to lue’s mumblings on gamefaqs because it was comedic to me. They had a charm, strange mix of elitism and wit in every single post. Stuff you wouldn’t say to your best friend you would openely say here to the collective conscious of lue. For a twelve year old I was grossly entertained yet horrified by pictures of things like tubse, goatgirl, and pains. I encrypted that message!, don’t bother looking for them (even though they are very old and very well known by now)
They performed group things like raid a girl in heaven’s blogspot. (Terrible, terrible, and terrible I know, but in my opinion it was funny) Bolder and more courageous lue grew, but eventually the father of the site cut them down. He didn’t allow anymore people to get on to lue except the people who registered. In reality it made them feel more bonded and more as an organism. During that time a Llama made a site called luelinks for the luesers. It was used as a code, since you couldn’t link to offensive combat, you would post a luelink code, and then go to luelinks from the gamefaqs site and put in code and get linked. Nifty. Eventually luelinks got it’s own message board, and then the split happened. More people liked luelinks because it didn’t have the nazirules of gamefaqs that resulted from a merger with cnet. (????) People started getting banned from the lue on gamefaqs, and since they couldn’t get back to lue because the man didn’t’ allow anyone to register for gamefaqs lue they went to luelinks. I got banned, I said I was twelve when I was seventeen (I KNOW ITS SAD), and you can’t be under 13. So I went to luelinks and now I’m sticking with it.
It’s sad to say but I grew up with it. I never had much of a life compared to the “ghost life” (I say ghost because I hardly even communicated, just read everyone elses) of lue. I learned all the lingo, I recognized the famous luesers (hard to explain, and kind of makes me feel a little low explaining that), and went through all the transformation.
You can pay to get in to luelinks kind of, if you know someone in there and pay them $20 dollars to them. (This kind of made me feel like luelinks is exclusive)
Who is luelinks? It’s a friend who I like to listen to talk and likes the information he gives me.

6 comments:

annaters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annaters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annaters said...

First, I’d like to say, excellent job on fulfilling the assignment criteria. You followed the writing prompt to a tee--- so to speak. However, might I make a few suggestions?

Employ caution when following a prompt, although it is essential to stick to the criteria it is not always wise to actually insert pieces of the writing prompt and criteria into your work. In other words aim to inform your audience of what you are assigned to present to them without them knowing it is actually an assignment.

Also, I strongly advise against putting your word count in your piece, that information is typically somewhat dry.

Watch your parenthesis; there are an uneven amount of open and close near the end of the first paragraph. This makes the section a bit grammatically confusing.

Overall, very creative writing, interesting similes, excellent insight, and impressive vocabulary!

Liz Benton said...

I like how you wrote about something that meant a lot to you and that you were able to clearly explain. However, there were some parts of it that were a little choppy because of grammatical errors, but nothing too terribly major. I think you may have veered a little from the prompt when answering the questions about cultural context and how they affect the overall understanding of all of the website’s references. However, overall this was a very interesting and fairly well written piece of writing. It had the nice personal touch added to it that made it obvious why this is an important website to you and why you continue to visit it.

Ronit said...

Great job on your blog. I had never heard of luelinks before. Now I wish I could get onto it. It sounds like a fun website to spend time on. I'm glad everyone can find a place for them to belong, weather its on the internet or not. Your post was very informative and interesting, but it was kind of confusing to read. Watch out when writing, that you don’t go off on too many tangents. Overall it was a good post, even though at times I got confused with the millions of parenthesis.

Aaron Deng said...

ok. first i want to say i like your writing because you have a very good writing skill. you have doon a excellent job. but i think do not just talk about you childhood story, i think that will make your posting boring. and i think you also need to pay attention on your personal words use, i am very confusing on your using word. i think that will make the readers not easy to understand your easy well.