Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Post 3

Sometimes I can't bare to watch Micheal Scott (played by Steve Carell) in the show "The Office" say some of the things he says. I have to walk away and come back in a second because I'm way too embarassed for him, even though he seems oblivious in the show. In my opinion he is the focal point of the show. His personality is comedic in itself, but also allows the other characters in the show to play off him for more humor.


Many Americans in some way or another will instinctually understand the humor that is being played here in my opinion. These jokes all involve something American as well as ignorance that this “oddball” Michael shows. That’s why I think that any American who comes across this clip on youtube can find this humorous. It’s playing on the basic knowledge that Americans should be expected to have, and makes fun of it.

The content of this video provides a prime example of Michael Scott leads the show in a direction heading toward a really funny place. In this particular clip he is talking about a fund raising event, yet the whole office isn’t really quite sure who they are donating to. Subsequently, jokes can be placed here, and they are with Toby and Michael arguing, as well as Jim enticing Michael in a pronunciation of the Afghan race.

The clip was altered just by cropping it out of the whole episode. The before and after of the clip being questioned isn’t really that important. The whole scene is its own segment of humor, and the scenes before it are different aspects. It’s not like a story where you really have to know background about characters or anything. Michael Scott is so stand out-ish; I think anyone can understand the dynamics of his character after the first sentence he says.

I also believe that you will have the same reaction to the clip even if you watched it on the TV or on the LCD. There is no reason for the experience to be different. The television has shows that are for entertainment, and the computer can also be a source of entertainment. If you are looking for entertainment, there should be no qualms where you are. If this clip was a source of information, I also believe that the medium isn’t too important. I think the only important difference between watching it on the internet and the T.V. is that the internet can have a community buildup around anything on the internet, whereas TV it is much harder.

For example, on this clip, you can see the comments below the clip. If you were searching for clips of the office, you would probably have known about it, and not clicked randomly and got to The Office. All these people searched for the office, and all experience the clip. Now they can talk about the funny, the characters, and the drama. There is an active discussion going on at any time basically. This is not something the TV can do. They can also link to more clips, and network The Office even more. However, if a visitor, such as my self, just wanted to find a clip and watch it, the interaction stops there. I was just fortunate enough to have a medium provide it for me.

4 comments:

annaters said...

Mr. Tran,

Very impressive post!

The way you separated the paragraphs with the line breaks makes you paper look much more professional and separates you ideas in a conventional and logical way.

Furthermore, this post was much more fluid than your previous posts, your ideas were more strict to the topic, and you conveyed your point and fulfilled the criteria wonderfully, withought using the prompt.

Excellent choice of video as well, I sincerely enjoyed it, and I completly agree with you about feeling embarrased for him.

Immense improvement from your previous posts keep up the fantastic work!

Also, thank you for continuously posting early, I enjoy getting my work done before the weekend and most people don't post until Sunday night, KUDOS TO YOU!

JAcosta said...

Jonathan, you had a very good video with a very good post. You could tell that you took your time to put your thoughts together for this post, and did an outstanding job putting it all together. The video you chose from You Tube was also very humorous and quite entertaining. Why is it, that one cannot make fun of the virus Aids? I have always been a firm believer that no matter what it is in life, one must find a way to laugh at it. Everyone should know how to laugh because laughing is part of a healthy overall life style.

jaki.my said...

I can see why you sometimes have to walk away from such a character. Michael Scott certainly is a little weird yet, if he wasn’t obviously the focal point of the clip, I would have to say that the whole office itself contained simply weird people. About your post, though. I think you did a great job. It differed from the previous posts that I have read by its organization and conciseness. You give the reader a clear understanding of what to look for in the video and what to expect. Also, your tone through out the post gives it a lot of personality and makes it enjoyable.

nathanbos said...

Splendidly done. I enjoyed reading your post and enjoyed the video too. I love Steve Carell, I think his sense of humor is fantastic. It’s great when someone is able to make fun of themselves. I think he still seems to keep some sort of pride though just because he seems so oblivious to what he is doing. Your writing was very good too, very smooth and easy to read. It was well organized and all of your points were made. I enjoyed the whole post and will defiantly go look for some more clips of the office right now.