Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Self-Reflective..

I have always seen myself as a really bad writer. Part of the reason is that I always procrastinate. It's a shitty english reality. But it's slowly starting to change.

In this class I have been reintroduced to free-rights and more creative based writing. Usually I look back on the fourth grade free-writes and the free-writes I am currently doing in college. They are strikingly similar. " A story about everyday super stories. " And while you're there you can look at the post number. I just had too much freedom for some reason and it felt kind of good. I don't like writing but for some reason I like to write stuff that really only makes sense to me.

Thats usually how I wrote at first. I only wrote to entertain me then I would go back and change things. Then it usually comes out looking weird and jutting out bizarreness at some points in the papers. From now on I’m taking a baby step everyday. Three thousand baby steps can probably make a lap around any average size house. These are the things I like to look back and pick on.

To be honest I never really cared for the work shopping but I know it was well worth it. It's essential because you can't just get to your view point of writing or else you might start overlooking things.

I see kick ass writing in every single book I read. It's kind of cool, that everything is right there and if you took time to study how they write you can improve as a writer. So basically anything that is published in the real world I find to be pretty awesome and interesting. I wish my writing can sometimes be like that, but sometimes I just don't know how important it is to be a really good writer. I kind of want to be a scientist, but I guess there is no point really not improving your writing as you grow up.

The cool thing about writing is that I can always just look on what I write about like a random journal or something. http://jonathantranucd.blogspot.com/ A my own online journal, and it will probably be here for a long time. It's nuts to think about that it's going to stay here and be a relic in our own personal lives.

I have started learning a lot about becoming a better writer though. I know that it has to be thoughtful and most of all reviewed. It's hard to make a good paper on one write through, that's why I always got mediocre grades in high school. You've taught me to re-read and go through multiple times with anything you write.(I don't think I'll do that with this one though.) Reading through over and over makes it easier to enjoy what you're reading.

My greatest strength in writing? I guess I'm a pretty good typer, so if that counts. Other than that, I don't know. My greatest strength? Hmmm, I know. It's my ability to try and like anything I write, knowing that it might suck really bad. But somehow I manage to crack my own mouth at it.

My worse is rushing through my paper, or falling victim of trying to figure out where to start in my paper. If I am assigned a particular issue, it takes me a long time to start and do it. I just don't know where to start. Then it is the random tetris breaks and naps. But then when I get to the writing process I just kind of peck away at it without a clue. The next thing I know I have 600 words of just random stuff. Then I try and caught that random stuff in to something coherent.

But I know my grammar isn't so good either, also my flow is REALLY chopping. I can tell that. That is something I have had since fourth grade. There has always been kind of a robotic chopping, just sounds nothing what a human would say.

I am working on all of these. But it's dawning on me that I only have one more required english class. Is my writing going to be staying on this child-like level? I fear it will, but maybe perhaps if I start reading a lot of books again. By the time I'm 35 perhaps I will have become a better writer through osmosis.

No comments: